Re: art curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:01:56 -0500

dana acuncius wrote:

> I am terribly disappointed in the
> art textbooks that are available...found much better resources for
> teaching art through the web sites such as artsednet and in art
> scholarship magazines. Can you tell me
> your opinion of the textbooks you are furnished, if you use them, or
> where you go for art lesson ideas.

This is a topic of interest to me as I am on our district's new elem.
art textbook selection committee - first meeting next week! We will not
be purchasing text books for student use but do expect to buy teacher
editions and supplementary resources such as reproductions and
transparencies. We've revamped our k-6 curriculum using National
Standards and will be looking for teaching resources which most closely
align with this new curriculum.

I'd be interested in knowing what textbooks you have and what you
dislike about them.

I personally get lesson IDEAS from a wide variety of sources: art
classes, other art teachers, exhibits and museum education programs,
NAEA and state conferences, my favorite artist's works, collaborations
and brainstorming with general ed teachers, children's books, children's
special interests, nature, and on and on. I've usually found text book
lessons to be lacking in "soul" but I have used them as a starting point
to develop some very exciting lessons. I don't have much time to devote
to making art so I get a lot of enjoyment by "creating" my own lessons.

That's my $.02 worth!

Linda in Michigan - does anyone know the difference between sleet and
freezing rain?