Re: Mardi Gras Ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:26:11 -0600

My favorite way to make masks is with papier-mâché. I have the students
choose a partner. They blow up one balloon for the two of them and tie it.
Together they work to cover it. I usually have them tie a piece of string
or yarn to the end and we hang them using paper clips or coat hangers.
They were together several days until the balloon has a hard shell. Once
the shell is hard enough, cut it in half and each student has their own
mask from that point on. They can continue to paste on details and cut out
areas, making it unique.

I went to the NAEA convention in New Orleans a couple of years ago and was
really excited by all the Mardi Gras stuff. They use papier-mâché for the
giant floats. You could make the floats instead of masks. I picked up a
catalog from one of the Mardi Gras stores and of course, I can't find it
now, but you might keep an eye out for places to order such a catalog. It
had lots of little things that would be cheap and it was an source for
ideas. I remember lots of purple and green.

Jasmine
jdp30