Christo

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
croberts (b2w6w4kn)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 08:37:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Nora Redfern <nredfern>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 10, 1999 8:01 AM
Subject: Black History Month

.....(snip).....
>2nd also - Has anyone ever incorporated the work of Christo (of Running
>Fence fame) into their art curriculum? I was able to visit "the fence"
>and it was awesome. Wondering how I can share with my students. Was
>thinking of a theme of BIG art.

I don't know who suggested this lesson...but I recently showed my 8th
graders pictures "of wrappings" from the internet of work done by Christo.
The students paired up and spent one class block "wrapping a chair" with
plastic bags and string. I had been collecting the plastic bags for this
lesson. The students really enjoyed it and I had a lot of trouble getting
them to "unwrap" the chairs before leaving the class. The next time I do
this lesson, I will have them do the research on the internet of his work
and then I will find some chairs that are not being used, so that we can put
them on display in the hall with a write-up of what they had done. This is
a good lesson.
Carolyn

Carolyn Roberts
E. B. Frink Middle School