Re: Elem. art clubs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:06:19 -0500

SanD wrote, in part:

>experience on the high school level, and give you a warning of caution.

we would NOT TEACH anything that could be learned in class. WE DID >NOT WANT
OUR SCHOOL TO USE IT INSTEAD OF AN ART CLASS EXPERIENCE,(that is the
>warning of caution

Dear SanD and Monica,

All that SanD has said makes a great deal of sense. In fact, I may rethink
part of what I do. I have an art club in elementary. I, too, do things in
the club that we can't do in class (however, they are worthwhile learning
experiences that would be great in class, perhaps, unfortunately). We make
things that are either too time consuming or too expensive to do in class
with a whole grade level. For example, we make pottery that I send up to
the high school to be fired. The high school could not agree to do that all
year long with whole grade levels. We use other sculptural materials like
sculpey and model magic to create jewelry and sculpture. These materials
are too expensive for our budget, but pta pays for art club materials (up to
$250). We also do things that benefit the whole school like painting the
cafeteria windows, and painting murals.

My art club is open to all fifth graders (approx. 140 students). Usually
about 50 students sign up. I split the group in two and have a session 1,
and session 2. Each session meets 8 times, once a week from 3:40 until
5:30.

Sincerely, Leah