Re: Elem. art clubs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (KPRS)
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:26:06 -0500

I don't know about art clubs on the elementary level, but I will give you my
experience on the high school level, and give you a warning of caution.

My colleague and I decided that if we ran an art club (and he does, I did it for
over 20 years) we would NOT TEACH anything that could be learned in class. WE DID
NOT WANT OUR SCHOOL TO USE IT INSTEAD OF AN ART CLASS EXPERIENCE,(that is the
warning of caution, because over the years I have found out that administrations
and boards of education will try to pull anything). Our art club does the
following: we paint the school play's sets, we do any other of the sundries that
they always come to the art department for (and usually they want kids in the
classes to do: HELLO, can anyone say CURRICULUM?????), we paint the classroom
doors with holiday themes, and charge money for that as a fundraiser (one year we
made clay ornaments to sell), we do posters etc..... We meet as the need arises.
Our art club is about 1/2 students who have taken art classes, and 1/2 of students
who haven't. Anyone can join, but they are told right off the bat, that it is not
a class, and you will be doing 'service' projects. (If, in the service project
aspect, a kid doesn't know how to paint sets, for example, we will give
rudimentary directions, and help them to do it, but this is not in lieu of a
'painting' class)

I think you can tell the caution part in the message, eh?

San D