Re:Sheetrock compound for mortar w/ your PreK bricks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Juncture
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:06:05 EST

In a message dated 1/7/99 1:42:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-artsednet-
digest.edu writes:

<<
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:57:31 EST
From: Sheldonlk
Subject: how to glue play clay like bricks

Our Pre K class has been abserving construction of four duplexes across
from the school. The teacher is going to make a dough recipe using
cornstarch, it's one that I gave her because it dries very hard, to have
students make bricks. Students will roll out the dough cut out bricks and
let
them dry. The question is does anyone have an idea how the bricks can be
mortored together. We need to use something that's not to runny, and it
can't
dry to fast, and it needs to stick to the bricks once it drys. We thought of
possibly the frosting used in constructing gingerbread houses. If anyone has
recipe for that frosting or any other ideas please send them to me. Remember
these children are four years old. thank you for your help.
Sheldon Koester
in Tucson Arizona

------------------------------
>>Hello, Sheldon - I suggest using Sheetrock Compound. I can get it at my
local Wal Mart where the housepaint is or at any building supply & most
hardware stores. It is very inexpensive & can be employed in a multitude of
paint applications & mixtures of paint for texture so you can use the rest of
it for other things. I get the impression from your post that you enjoy
experimenting as I do, so you'll be amazed at what it can lead you to. You
can put a little powdered tempera to color it like mortar. Its consitency is
very similar to the liquitex modeling paste for a small fraction of the cost.
If you run in to any questions about it let me know. I discovered its uses
when I put up drywall in my studio 3 years ago - Try it you'll like it. Bill
- Elkin NC 25 mi east of the Blue Ridge Parkway.