Re: calendar art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:19:42 -0800

Gail1611 wrote:

> I feel at times that a picture file is very important. At
> other times I wonder if the kids would be more imanaginative if I didn't
> stress realistic all the time. I keep wondering if I should be helping the
> kids to develop their imagination in a greater fashion. Would do you all
> think? Gail

Well, the Surrealists were pretty imaginative... Picasso could draw
"realistically," and well, even at a young age, but that certainly didn't
stop him from being more imaginative than ten people put together (oops,
hope this resurrect the Can't-stand-Picasso thread ;) )

Seriously, drawing as a skill has really foundered in the last few
decades. How many of you learned drawing skills in HS or college? I
sure didn't. I had to teach myself. A drawing professor at an art
school my students and I have visited laments the almost total lack of
basic skills her students come to class with. I think a good foundation
in drawing from direct observation--or photographs--is a necessity for
any other skills in art. It doesn't have to limit their imagination; you
can always create assignments that are open-ended, with a lot of room for
personal interpretations.

Maggie