RE: portraits

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:18:30 -0500

I do something similar to this, too, but before this stage, I set up a model
with a spotlight, darken the room and give the kids big brushes, black
paint, and large white paper. I have them look for, and paint, only the dark
areas. They have difficulty at first because they are so used to line, but
after several tries they begin to get recognizable images. I explain to them
that this is one of the differences between drawing and painting-that
instead of using outlines we are looking for and painting shape and volume.
After they feel comfortable with this, we move on to looking for gradations
of value and use mixed or diluted paint for it. I do this with art II. Linda
in NC