MIME & html text in messages

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 00:31:25 -0500

Stephanie wrote:
> Second, can anyone explain why my messages get =
> printed out with all that mumbo jumbo MIME stuff??? What a pain it must =
> be for all of you to read. Any help on how to get rid of it?

I'll take a chance at solving this problem - but I'm only familiar with
how my setup works - yours may/may not work the same way. First of all,
the = sign at the end of every line looks like you might be hitting the
return key as you type - at the end of each line, like you would on a
typewriter. You don't have to do that on a computer - it will
automatically start the next line when it runs out of room. As far as
getting a duplicate copy of your message written in html code - in
Netscape mail, if you go to Options, then Mail and News Preferences,
then Composition, you will see a section that has 2 buttons to click on.
One is for "Allow 8-bit" and the other is for "MIME Compliant (quoted
printable)". I have no idea what they mean - but mine is clicked on
"Allow 8-bit" and my messages go through OK. This is in Netscape 3.0. On
my other computer I'm using Netscape Communicator 4.0 and also using
Netscape mail. Every once in awhile when I quote something in a message,
before I mail it I get an alert box which states something about the
receiver not being able to accept html messages. It then asks if I want
to "send it anyway", "send as both plain and html text", or just "send
as plain text". When that happens, I click on the "send as plain text"
button. I believe that whatever system you are using (and there are
other people this happens to as well) is sending mail out in both plain
text and html code - it probably goes to individuals OK, but the
artsednet digest prints everything in plain text.

--
Sandra Hildreth
Home Page: http://www.northnet.org/hildreth