Re: any suggestions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:51:52 -0500

Corrie,
I read where an art teacher in the high school level had the students act
out the elements. Like for line one group had to act out types of line,
diagonal, straight, wavey, dotted, etc. For shape they acted out organic
and geometric. I thought about doing this after I go over their worksheet
on the elements. What I usually do is play classical music in the
background of a story. I then tell a story with the elements in them. An
example would be that they are taking a walk and i describe what they see.
When they get to the top of a hill they look out at the ocean. The ocean
is colors of blue and green. They see cool colors because they are
associated with water. As they watch the waves roll in they notice that
there are many darks and lights in the water and they tell themselves that
this is value since it is showing lights and darks of the water. I then
have them imagine that they are walking along toward the water and they
take off their shoes. As they walk the can feel the sand on their feet and
they think about the texture . when they pick up a shell in their hand
they notice that it has shape because it has height and width. You get the
idea? This way the kids associate the story with the elements.