Re: TEACHING COMPUTER GRAPHICS!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Susan Palfrey (spalfre1)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:18:07 -0500

I too like the Wacom Tablet. However, I have six computers in my room and
only one tablet. A lot can be done with a mouse. First, I, like Deborah
often have students start with drawings off the computer. We've had good
results with certain kinds of drawing by having the students make outline
drawings and scan them in black and white. Depending on it's use, and the
kind of treatment it would require, we sometimes save them as tiff images
and then convert them to vector drawings in Adobe Streamline to be edited
in an illustration program such as CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator. When we
scan outline drawings to be "colored" in a paint program, it is necessary
to convert the scan to color. Other times we scan color work and edit it in
the paint program. The same is true for digital photos. The students have
created some really interesting work incorporating photographs of clay or
fimo work into 2 dimensional paintings on the computer.

Other times, students start from "scratch" in the paint program. If a
Wacom tablet is not used, I remind the students to continually zoom in.
One can get very accurate results with a mouse and zooming in to work. (One
also needs to zoom in if using a Wacom tablet.)

One final point, for students using mice in graphics programs, it is really
important that the mice are kept clean and are in excellent working
condition!! Also speed of the mouse can be adjusted to suit the user.

At 08:30 AM 1/25/98 -0700, Deborah Gilbert wrote:
>> Since the "mouse" was not designed
>>for artists, I would have them render their drawings off the computer,
>>and then have them shoot them.
>
>that's why you should check into a Wacom Tablet and Stylus for the
>computer.
>
>Deborah

Sue Palfrey
spalfre1