Re: Censorship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 4 Jan 1980 03:14:42 +0300

Providing the parent with the option to opt their child out of the
art class because they object to the content is a dangerous precedent
to set.

I have worked in several schools where this kind of thing in various
forms has arisen. In each case, the school did not allow the parents
to withdraw their children from a part of the curriculum because of
conflicts in belief systems.

Here at IST, there was an incident that happened a couple of years
ago where a Muslim parent told her child not to listen to anything
the music teacher said because she was the "devil." As a result, the
child would plug her ears when she was in the music class. Pretty
soon alot of the children were plugging their ears. In the subsequent
conferencing over the incident with the parent, there was a request
made to withdraw the child from the music program because of the
conflict over personal/religious/cultural beliefs and the program of
the school.

In the resulting brew, the school set the policy that parents cannot
opt their child out of any of the curriculum. By enrolling their
child in the school, they enroll in the curriculum. This policy has
guided further incidents of this nature from exploding into a many
headed monster whose face keeps appearing again after each is
cut off.

If the administration supports your point of view, then the school
you are working in needs to develop policy that
is used to support you for further incidents of this nature.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton