Re: The Postmodernism Fog

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:40:05

At 04:21 PM 1/23/98 -0500, ed29970 wrote:

>I am a student who has just started an Art Ed sequence of classes I need
>to be certified to teach. We are currently reading about and discussing
>Postmodernism. And because they seem inseparable, we are also covering
>Modernism. All of this information, regardless of how interesting it may
>be, means absolutely nothing to me because I don't understand what it has
>to do with teaching art.
>
>A question to those of you who already teach. How, in your daily routine
>and weekly planning, does knowing what Postmodernism and Modernism are
>affect what you do. Why is this information important, if at all. It's
>hard for me to know what to do with this info if I don't understand what
>bearing it will have when I actually begin to teach.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eric

hi eric,

what if you replaced the terms "modernism" and "post modernism" in your
query with "renaissance" and "baroque"? would it still seem like they had
nothing to do with teaching art?

my seventh graders and i have just begun our modern art unit with a pretest
asking questions like, "is modern art art from a certain time or a certain
style?" and "how do you classify something as modern art?" and "what do you
call art that is made now?" for us there are no right or wrong answers.
we share our anwers as a class, find a lot of variety, and create
definitions that encompass everyone's ideas. by the end of the unit i hope
we will have come to think of modern art as not just a simple term but
inclusive of historical events like the advent of technology, space travel,
computers, personal freedoms - a complexity of people and lives and places
and things out of which came lots of new, different artwork which we can
label as modern. hopefully we can continue the flow from modern to
present/post-modern and see how we fit in, where we are, where we've been.

i'm sure you can teach about art - drawing, shading, primary colors, form,
etc... - without dealing with the renaissance or modernism. i think it's a
lot more interesting and useful, though, when we try to take a look at the
big picture. remember, not all of your students are going to become
professional artists. in order to support those who do, it might work to
nurture in all students an understanding of the meaning and significance of
art in everyone's life.

to me personally the periods of mod and post-mod are some of the most
important because i feel like they most closely relate to the time i live
in, the way i think, the art i make...

hope this helps!

wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls