Re: ART ED. EYEBALLED BY PROFS...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:16:12

At 08:24 PM 1/22/98 -0800, Robert Beeching wrote:
> Picasolovr wrote:
>
>"Interesting...maybe our discussions throughout the two months have been
>eyeballed by
>college professors" (of art?)...
>
>You must remember that many of these professors have been away from the
>classroom working
>on their doctoral theses. Unfortunately, these degrees are based on
>"oral" and "written"
>examinations with much reading and writing; not on art production! It is
>natural that the shoe boxes they have filled with all those "frames of
>references" will have to eventually end up in curriculum guides, text
>books, and class lectures. It is far easier to talk about art than it is
>to produce it.
>
>SEE: <http://members.tripod.com/~robprod/index.html>
>-----------------------rb
>

>--
>MZ

i beg to differ with your statement. i'm a ms art teacher and doctoral
student, a professor someday wannabe. for me, at least, it's MUCH easier,
and a lot more fun, too, to do my art (draw, paint, construct, photograph)
than it is to write a 20 page paper "talking about art"! i do feel though
that our scholarly requirements are a neccessity if we are aspiring to the
level of art teacher - teacher, or art ed expert. i think the reading,
research, and writing we do go hand in hand with our art production skills
and expertise to hopefully create a balanced repertoire. considering a new
theory about visual learning can be as exciting as discovering a new media
or technique!

- just my 2 cents!

wendy

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls