[Fwd: [Fwd: DBAE FORMAT]]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:47:48 -0800

--------------516B4EA12A266FB381BAD2AB

--
MZ

--------------516B4EA12A266FB381BAD2AB Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Disposition: inline

Message-ID: <34C90176.232C26FB> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:45:42 -0800 From: Robert Beeching <robprod> Reply-To: robprod Organization: Robert Beeching Productions X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.02 [en] (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Gary Bogus <gbogus> Subject: Re: [Fwd: DBAE FORMAT] References: <v02140b01b0ee7e2064e9@[136.152.53.109]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Gary Bogus wrote:

> Robert, > > Thank you for so eloquently describing the DBAE debate. I am working to > develop an "arts magnet" school in my district at a site that had a good > performing arts program but a lousy visual arts program (in spite of having > an art teacher). I am trying to walk that fine line of introducing looking > - which will be done by classroom teachers, as the art teacher will NOT do > it. Her rational is the one you speak of about ONLY wanting to do skills > development. However, the end result of her studio program has been that > children only receive a very narrow exposure to art - and their work shows > it! > > I'm a visual artist, BFA and MA, who thinks kids need - and benefit from > BOTH art experiences, particularly here in the nearly inner city where > children are divorced from mainstream culture, but eager for be included. > > How do wwe bring the two halves together? > > Jai in Berkeley

Hi Jai!

There is no question that people need to "see" visual arts productions, just as they need to hear a symphony, or see a legitimate play, or dance performance. These experiences can broaden our appreciation for what humans can produced. At the same time, to really appreciate (rather than just enjoy) the arts, it is important to become involved in the process. How can anyone analyze or criticize a production or a performance without first becoming personally involved? We teach reading, writing, and arithmetic, not by historical connotations, but by becoming personally involved in the "process." Teach people basic processes and skills first, then let them compare their personal experiences with what they visually and aurally confront in society. In that way, we can become truly appreciative of the contributions of the arts to our society. -----------------rb