[Fwd: ART CART DESIGN!REPLY!]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:41:23 -0800

--------------BCB4326ED27467B234838D06

--
MZ

--------------BCB4326ED27467B234838D06 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Disposition: inline

Carol Raynis wrote:

> I'm interested in art cart. Is it expensive? > > Carol Raynis > New Life Christian School > Matamoras, PA > > pigscanfly

Hi Carol!

I designed an art cart based on a standard "large" AV cart floating around at the school site where I was contracted for five years to set up a school-wide art program. What I found was that all 30 teachers in 30 classrooms had duplicate materials and supplies. In fact, when I walked into the school supply room I was confronted by tons of color construction paper ranging in size from 9" x 12" inches to 18" x 24". It seemed as though everyone lived on construction paper at that school.

The administration gave me an unrestricted budget, and the first thing I did was to set a standard for ordering legitimate art materials and supplies for an on-going visual arts training program. That included #12 round watercolor brushes, oil pastels (instead of wax crayons), dry powder (full color) tempera paints by the pound, and scissors which would "cut" ranging in size from 5" to 8" shears, large and small water-based (black) felt pens. I ordered 80# sulfite white 18" x 24" paper in bulk, where a local printer cut the paper into modules from 4" x 6" to 12" x18" to cut down on waste

I designed the art cart to serve 4 contingent rooms where each teacher was responsible for maintaining the cart and supplies. The ply board units held tempera trays to hold (2) 1 lb coffee cans (one at each end) with eight (cafeteria size) milk cartons in the center to hold the primary, secondary, white and black mixed tempera. Students were taught to mix the paint on a ratio of 1 to 1, and distributed and collect materials and supplies taking no more than 5 minutes at each end. The cart accommodated all of the materials and supplies with water buckets and large sponges for clean up. For rooms without water we used one bucket for clean water, and a second for waste. All very easy to use and to maintain. Dispensers were constructed to hold brushs, pens and scissors for easy distribution and count.counts. This kept loss of equipment to a minimum. Teachers were taught how to service the carts, and to schedule and maintain them. This took a lot of double-checking at the beginning.

The ply board units were designed to fit an existing 2-shelf (large) AV cart, and were fabricated either by the school maintenance shop, or by the 7th and 8th graders in wood shop. The carts cost approximately 250.00 ea. to purchase, and the 1/2" and 3/4" 4' x 8' ply sheets cost approximately 25.00 ea. Several fathers also helped on Saturdays to finish the carts. Plan on 2 shts. per cart.

If you mail me your address, I will send you the basic art cart plan. -------------------rb