Re: Censorship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deborah Gilbert (dngart)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:32:50 -0700

Marion wrote:

> yes if they get the proper
>instruction on viewing that can help. but when they are flipping through
>the TV channels and see the pornography they will watch because they saw
>the same thing in school so it must be ok. It is all part of desensitizing
>our kids.

Are we saying now that viewing the nude sculptures and paintings so
prevalent in European art history, is the equivalent of watching
pornography on TV? I think that is a bit of a stretch. For one thing, the
intent is different - the intent of drawing nudes is to better learn to
draw the human form, clothed or unclothed...the intent of pornography is
titillation.

To say that when a child is older, they can choose whether or not to view
the human form naked sort of defeats our role as parents and teachers,
don't you think? What sort of a choice can they make at that time when
they have been taught all those years that the naked body is something
sinful and bad? I think our culture is already one of the most sexual
confused on earth because of just such viewpoints. We are actually
teaching our children to view their own bodies with distain, and then we
wonder why so many of our citizens have emotional problems.

Deborah