Re: THE ART ADVOCATE...my views..

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla schiller (charwitt.us)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:07:36 -0800 (PST)

Michelle, I too am a career-switcher. Despite a law degreee, 3 kids and
12 years training junior lawyers, I too was required by California to take
a whole bunch of courses. I managed to place out of some of them based on
my previous coursework, but I had plenty left to take. I actually found a
few of the teaching courses useful, particularly ed. psych and the first
of the classroom techniques courses I had to take. The least useful were
the subject matter courses, but I placed out of most of those. So I would
take a few courses at night each semester, while teaching full time. But
even the useless courses (in terms of the curriculum or the teacher or
both) had some use in what I learned from and my interaction with the
other students.

So hang in there! The fascination, joy and work (LOTS of work) of teaching
are definitely worth it, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

--Carla

Carla Schiller, Esq.
Teacher, Highly Gifted Magnet
North Hollywood High School, CA
e-mail: charwitt.us
People tend to make the best choice from among those they see,
they just don't always see ALL the choices.......