Re: Time Spent on Elementary Projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:14:11 -0800

Gary Bogus wrote:

> I also find that, converse to what happens in math or language arts, the
> brightest students take the longest to finish a project, lingering longer
> that their more impulsive peers. What do you do with those kids that are
> done early, and adamantly refuse to workany longer? They often get into
> difficulty with peers. This problem is particularly difficult for "art on
> the cart" teachers who are guests in another teacher's room. How do you
> push one group to finish while keeping the other occupied?

With some students, an on-going project with a different medium gives them something
different to work on; however, some students will rush through the current project and
do a poor job just to get work with airbrush or calligraphy, say.

Students may re-work a botched assignment if it was a fairly recent one. That one
doesn't get many takers, but some students will have had a change of heart and want to
improve it.

If a student has completed an assignment to my satisfaction and is passing the class, I
will allow him or her to get materials for another class to study. With the librarian's
permission, the student can go to the library.

If all else fails, I announce that I _really_ need some help cleaning or organizing a
cabinet, and that anyone who finishes early can do that. You can guess how busy they
get on their assignments when they hear that! ;)

Maggie**remove x in address to reply