Re: Time spent on elemenatry art projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Sat, 5 Jan 1980 00:49:03 +0300

I have had success in keeping a student's unfinished work out
and directing them to it when they are finished with another project. Most of
the time they've forgotten they did it but always recognize theirs
when they go through the stack.

I personally think it may not be so bad to have a project extend for
2 months if in each lesson, something new is introduced. I tend to use
multiple processes and media at all grade levels. When students
complete their interest doing the activity we are engaged in during
the lesson as this age student will - they have their own intuition
about when they are finished - then I direct them to do something
else with it. Add foil papers. Cut it up into strips and do paper
weaving. Put it on a bigger piece of paper and draw in the border.
After drawing in the border, put it on an even bigger piece of paper
and cut out shapes from it. Finished with the background? Take out
the foam rollers and put a waterbased paint on top in a texture. Draw
into it with the back of a sharpened paint brush.

You get the idea.

I would agree that any project that does not have multiple elements,
however, is too long at this age. Kids should have alot of experience
experimenting instead of being locked in to completing
schematic-based work, especially if they are just emerging from the
scribble stage in their development.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton