Re: Time spent on elemenatry art projects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:16:47 -0600

Gary Bogus wrote:

> A colleague and I are in disagreement about how much time young (grades 1
> through 5) art students should spend on drawing projects. Classes are 45
> minutes once a week, class size 18 -27 students. She has kids work on large
> paper with crayons, taking up to two months on one picture. I think this is
> too much time spent on one picture, and that smaller, more immediate
> projects should be presented, particularly to the third grade and below. I
> tend to gear my projects to something that can be completed in one, or at
> the most two, classes, with the upper grades doing one or two longer-run
> projects per year. Of course, we may do several pre-teaches, looking at
> examples or practicing skills, but overall I like to try to work smaller
> and faster.
>
> Opinions, anyone? I promise to take all the shots with good grace.

Personally, I agree with you Gary. I like my lessons to interrelate, of
course, but in my opinion, the primary grades don't have the attention
span for lessons which last much longer than two weeks. I like to do
units with the upper grades--series of interconnecting lessons. It's
easier to accomplish the objectives of DBAE that way.