Re: Quick Black Histroy Plans

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Fri, 4 Jan 1980 15:00:07 +0300

Good suggestion for year-round incorporation. As February approaches,
and it is usually the only time some schools consider this subject, I
can appreciate the quicky request. But I agree that "plop art" is not
the right message overall. However, I will share an activity I did
with 2-5th graders:

I showed a large poster of Jacob Lawrence's "The Last Supper" as well
as other works of his to the students. We talked about what we could
tell about the people and how they lived etc. etc. from the imagery.
We talked about the colors, the flatness of the shapes, how something
was opaque vs. transparent. I asked what the people were doing and
why? We talked about being thankful as the theme of the work - (I
tried to steer it away from a direct religious connotation because of
the major taboos about that in the school I was teaching.) We talked
about the ways in which we demonstrated we were thankful for
something. Then I had the kids made a list of what things they were
thankful for. After they created their list, they were to find a way
to include at least five things from their list into a composition.
It was really successful and there were related spin-offs in other
directions that happened as a result of this project.

Is that quick enough?

Regards,
Teresa