Re: Grants for Beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:11:20 -0500

Dear Neal et al,

In my school am frustrated by the limited amount of tack board space
allowed in school hallways. I'd love to cover evey square inch of wall
space in the school halls, but paper art in the halls is limited for good
reason. There is only a small percentage of the hallway wall space where
paper decorations are permitted by fire code because in the event of a
fire, the paper would burn fast and hot, causing a barrier to escape. For
this reason, we're not allowed to decorate the classroom doors, either. Our
fire watchdog custodian mentioned that art work behind glass is exempt from
these limits.

I decided to ask our parent teacher association for help buying picture
frames. They didn't have the funds on hand, but have helped by organizing a
drive to raise the money. Local businesses are being asked for a $50
sponsorship for a Nielson brand metal picture frame with glass and backing.
Attached to each frame they sponsor will be a small brass plaque with their
name on it, showing that they are supporters of the art program at Kellogg.
They'll see a revolving exhibit of Kellogg student artwork displayed in the
frames at the bank, town hall, library, and on the school halls. Tomorrow
I'm going to the frame shop to pick up the first four of dozens of frames,
I hope.

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street