Re: pointillism art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:56:18 -0600

At 04:59 PM 1/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I would appreciate it if you would send me some information
>on pointlism art. Such as what century it came from and
>names of a couple famous pointillism artists. Thanks.

Pointillism, also called 'divisionism', is usually recorded in art history
texts as the style of work created by Georges Seurat (b. Dec. 2, 1859,
Paris--d. March 29, 1891, Paris) .

Georges Seuratwas the ultimate example of the artist as scientist and spent
his life studying color theories and the effects of different linear
structures. He was one of the founders of the 19th-century French school of
Neo-Impressionism. His technique involved using tiny brushstrokes of
contrasting colours to create the surface of his work and then the viewers
eye would mix the dabs of color portraying the play of ligh. Siurat
created large compositions with tiny, individual strokes of pure colour too
small to be distinguished when looking at the entire work.

If you have a web browser and isp, check out:
http://zensoft.com/pages/pointillism.html

Hope this helps.

Bob
Robert Fromme <rfromme> or <rfromme>