Re: teacher preparation

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sidnie Miller (sidmill.us)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 10:34:09 -0800 (PST)

Dear Wendy, Well said, I agree with your general point that college just
can't prepare us for everything and much of it must be learned on the
firing line--but ed profs need to work in the field etc. The point I
wanted to make it that it amazes me how much art teachers are tenacious
about wanting to know everything in their field, as diverse as it is.
We are constantly seeking out classes on weekends and new ideas. I
love to go to art conferences--I always get great ideas and inspiration
and I really enjoy the comradarie (like this list). Compare yourself
to other teachers you work with--how many math and English etc. teachers
feel this way. I think our natural desire to know and love it all is
part of the problem--we keep feeling like someone in our education
cheated us of something because they didn't tell us everything in the
first place. How many math teachers feel that way--I don't mean to
be picking on math--just pick an area--they are perfectly content to
use whatever book the district picks and add a little enhancement
occasionally as a reward or toss in a couple of days of "hands-on"
a month to attempt to fulfill a commitment to visual learners.
We're lucky to be so disgruntled --it's because we want more and more.Sid
# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #
# Elko, NV 89801 #