Re: Carribean Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
croberts (b2w6w4kn)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:37:42 -0800

Sheri A. Woodard wrote:

> I could use some help finding information on art and artists from the
> Carribean. We are creating a program that includes music, art, and
> dance and I would love some more information.

Check out the book BLACK ART: ANCESTRAL LEGACY published by Dallas
Museum of Art (1989). There is a chapter on BLACK ART IN THE

Here's a excellent site for Amos Ferguson, artist from the Bahamas

This site shows work by Everald Brown and others...

See what you can find on images that occur in Caribbean art. The snake
is the most frequently used. It's regarded as a carrier of magic, the
guardian of the temple, protector against demonic powers, and supposed
to bring good luck.

Look up this site
for information on Bahamian Junkanoo Music. Junkanoo is a celebration
that takes place in the Bahamas on Christmas and New Year's Day

This will help you get started...if you want more information, write me.