Re: Carribean Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
croberts (b2w6w4kn)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:37:42 -0800

Sheri A. Woodard wrote:

> I could use some help finding information on art and artists from the
> Carribean. We are creating a program that includes music, art, and
> dance and I would love some more information.

Check out the book BLACK ART: ANCESTRAL LEGACY published by Dallas
Museum of Art (1989). There is a chapter on BLACK ART IN THE
CARIBBEAN...

Here's a excellent site for Amos Ferguson, artist from the Bahamas
http://www.egallery.com/fergus.html

This site shows work by Everald Brown and others...
http://www.oir.ucf.edu/bryant/jamaica.html

See what you can find on images that occur in Caribbean art. The snake
is the most frequently used. It's regarded as a carrier of magic, the
guardian of the temple, protector against demonic powers, and supposed
to bring good luck.

Look up this site
http://www.historical-museum.org/exhibits/carib/carib.htm#bahamas
for information on Bahamian Junkanoo Music. Junkanoo is a celebration
that takes place in the Bahamas on Christmas and New Year's Day

This will help you get started...if you want more information, write me.
Carolyn