Re: Teaching and credentials...cont.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lynda Brothers Matthew (brosart)
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:49:08 -0800 (PST)

>Hi Michelle and everyone,
>I just want to talk about the situation I have at two schools in LAUSD. I
am an "artist-in-residendence" and I find for me this program is working
after lots of trial and error. I do not have a master's in art, and in fact
I flunked my art class in high school,( I couldn't do his abstract "look")
my counselor in college said that art classes should be taken at art
institutes, not colleges (even though his wife was the art teacher at the
college), my mother was an artist but my father said that he wouldn't pay
for any art classes in college as it was unimportant, etc....but I went on
to become a commissioned tapestry artist in both America, Europe and South
Africa, and doing quite well. So I now find myself teaching K-5 both
tapestry weaving and art because a student was a principal of the school and
wanted me to join the school. The first year I was in a state of shock when
I was left with a class by myself. I had no classroom- management knowledge
at all. But the principal and management was so helpful that I learned over
time how to handle a class of younger ones (I had taught adults for years).
I teach a 'release-time' with a drama teacher and a dance teacher. The
teachers get the time their students are in our class to do grade-level
planning, 1 hour each week. I have the same classroom for 8 weeks until I
rove, but often I don't have a class with water.

>Now, 4 years later at the same school, and sometimes, when I have the time
away from my commissioned art work life, at another school, I find my
experience in the "productive world" to be one of the most intriguing things
for the students. I make money doing art, and they are fascinated. It is
what they most want to know about.

>One of the big gaps, I feel, in the art education, and for that matter in
all education is the lack of self-promotion. If a child is interested in the
field of illustration, graphic arts, 3D animation or rendering, we don't
promote it, or tell them how to start to build a portfolio. The self
promotion should start in the early years. They should learn to tell the
world what they want to do. They should learn how to present, promote, and
grab their audience into what they are trying to say. Why do we not teach
marketing with art? Because we think the two are total worlds apart. B.S.!
If you are trying to get a gallery or an Art Counsultant to show your work,
you had better have your slides in order, and all the other factors that
constitute good marketing. Why are we repressing artists in this marketing
venue? We still seem to have that archaic venue that artists should not be
selling their own art, that it devalues the art to do so.