Re: report card comments

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:58:44 -0500

Ellen,

Good thought! And just in time for our mid-year grade reports. I'm told
that the art teacher who was here before me didn't include any comments
with the grades (I don't know this for sure). However, I put a lot of time
and thought into them. I feel that reportcard comments from the art
teachers are very important for a couple of reasons.

One-They force the student, their family, and the teacher to reflect on
student behavior, potential, and performance. Usually I use the generic
comments used by the other teachers, but I do sometimes adjust them to fit
as the case requires. This is because I feel it is important to respond to
trends evident from observations of the whole marking period, and I find
generic comments quite appropriate for a general status report of a ten
week period.

Two-Use of the generic comments, like those the other teachers use, will
show that the art teacher is concerned with the same behavior and
performance of the student that the language arts and algebra teachers are.
I feel that the grade reports, the ppt meetings, the parent/teacher
conferences, the board of ed, and all those places where the history and
french teachers work, are exactly where the art teachers belong. Try to
dispell the myth that art education (and music, too) are specials.

But Perhaps I could use them if the comments which were insightful and
concise. I'd love to see them if any of you other art teacher's have ideas.

Mark