Re: ART EDUCATOR TRAINING

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 06:59:57 -0500

Bob,

I want to comment on Bob's point about DBAE. I find that the NAME
Discipline Based Art Education is very unfortunate-for the same reason.
However, I've looked into it and most of my lessons are roughly based on
the DBAE principles. Makes sense to me and most of my constituants-in
moderation. Getty, if you're listening, the concept is great but the name
is uninspiring and misleading to new initiates!

I've been following this strand about Art Educator training, and I've been
intending to get back with more on my perspective from Connecticut. I'm an
old guy with a new certificate. I have had both good and bad experiences in
my Art Educator training. I tend to agree with Craig-there are all kinds
of teachers-just as there are all kinds of people. It has been my practise
to put more stock into those I feel have more to offer me. Funny thing is-I
see my students doing the same thing now. I just keep trying to get most of
them to maintain their faith in me as a teacher. Sometimes that works
better than others. I guess my Art Educator training continues...

Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street