Art Teacher Training

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Rees (Sandra)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 00:18:35 -0500

Happy New Ideas for the New Year.

As my first post to this list serve, I am a presently a student with a BA
in Art from Berea College, now working towards a degree in Teaching
Certificate, Master's in Interrelated Special Ed.

I have followed this listserve for almost a year. Most often, I scan,
save some for later casual reading or links, and trash others. I have
observed interesting comments, and at times surprise at questions i.e.
lack of ideas or materials handling, lesson gaps. I respond now, because
I know this person and support all that I have seen her do (in her own
work) as well as continually presenting herself as an artist and a teacher
of art teachers.

Tommye M. Scanlin wrote:
> I am in a situation of being an "art teacher trainer."
> I take my job very seriously. I believe the teaching of art is one of
> the most challenging tasks one might choose. I believe that teaching
> of art fundamentals is critical. I believe that DBAE has offered a
> theory of structure which is beneficial to art instruction at all
> levels.

I am presently working with Tommye Scanlin to present a Distance Learing
Lecture Series at our small, rural college in North Georgia. We will
bring to our school, Dennis Fehr (who occasionally posts on this list) to
speak to a variety of teachers and citizens of the importance of Art in
the public classroom, accross all teaching diciplines.

Reading comments from T. Scanlin, I am reminded of how important it is to
"stay open", perhaps most importantly as teachers of creative experience
and importance in our shared history, as a culture and as a nation.
Through my student work (with T. S.), I met Dennis Fehr's concepts and
have initiated this Distance Learning Lecture Series. Luckily, my Dean of
Education (and boss) and other staff members (including T. Scanlin), have
supported this additional mode of thinking to be presented - accross state
lines - accross diciplines, to teachers and citizens at our school. To
me, this is Art in the living aspect of all that Art is about. My
classmates in a Methods and Materials for L.D. students will attend some
of this lecture series, supported by the professor, as part of our class
time.

Tommye comments upon what I speak about here. . .

> I also believe I am not alone in being dedicated to art teacher
> training.

You see, I feel that all teachers in training would benefit from some Art
for whatever field they desire to teach.

My BA degree in Art, more importantly my living philosophy of the
importance of Art in my life, gave me fortitude and conviction to open up
the doors for this potential opportunity. The opportunity to share the
power and tools of Art with other students who are learning to teach. I
realize this List serve has been focusing upon the teaching of teaching
art teaching... (yea, plenty of words, discussion of what is the artist,
who, when and where etc.) Isn't part (if not all) of Art about philosophy
of how Art becomes the visual image of life in the times?

Besides learning from a variety of Art Teachers (who certainly are not
perfect), for Art Teachers in training... the Art Teacher should (in my
view) respond to all curriculum and academics and present themselves as a
resourse for the powerful tool that Art is within the public school
system. I have read accounts of this on the list (on occasion), but not
often enough. Art teachers must move forward in their respective school
systems, to not argue at their training (all teachers have this
arguement), but should be working towards respect of the power of the area
they teach.

If your Art teaching experience did not provide you with perfect Methods
and Materials training, well, learn it on your own; move forward with the
philosophy of Art, in your own creative way... Doing so, you might adjust
the attitude of administrators and public opinion and therefore, hold the
truest line of conviction for just what you are teaching.

Going out on a limb here, that's the art of life. Look forward, look
beyond, find creative ways to move the system, be polite, be prepared, be
CREATIVE.

Sandra in Georgia