[Fwd: Re: The Art Advocate . . . my views]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
hyland5
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 22:28:05 -0600

From: hyland5
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 20:48:45 -0600
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: RE: The Art Advocate . . . my views
Sender: owner-newartsednet.edu

Thank YOU, Bunki, for saying what I thought I was alone in feeling!

I'm an art minor, who now teaches primarily art, all grades, and a few
PE classes(the latter being my major).

I always thought the classes I took for my minor were lacking in really
needed teaching info - they were all studio classes - none dealt with
WHAT I should teach at WHAT ages, or even artistic development in
children, etc., etc., etc. I didn't even get to take an art methods
course (which I felt I badly needed), until many years later, when I
needed to upgrade my certificate for teaching in another state. This
turned out to be a bomb of a class - all we did was make paper, which
the instructor was "into" at the time. Fun, but not what I sorely
needed.

So, anyway, now that I find myself teaching art classes, I've always
felt undertrained compared to the rest of you art majors. I've done
lots of reading, bought MANY $$$ worth of books, and am still in the
process of developing and refining my curriculum each year.

Your letter has validated my quest of having to "find out for myself"!!
I guess I'm not so "all alone" after all! I will say that courses in my
major area DID prepare me well for handling groups of students, so I do
have that to fall back on. But I'm always still searching for more
"how-to" books in the various art areas. I've attended many of our state
art ed. conventions, and they've helped alot. But, here, all along,
I've thought that all the art ed. majors had all these wonderful
curriculums and teaching techniques spewing forth. And I'm know many of
you do - but I guess not because of college courses that I missed!

Anyway, I'm rambling, but thanks for making me feel a little less
inferior, and "in this together" with the rest of you!