Re: ART "TRAINING"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Golombek (golombek)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:16:55 -0400

If I could please add my two cents worth as an art teacher who just completed
working with a student teacher from Buffalo State Teacher College.

My experience with her was more than satisfactory for the brief time she was
with me. Those 8 weeks at the middle school level went by too fast for both of
us. When I did my student teaching I began visiting the school one -two days a
week for a month in October. Each week increased the amount of time spent
there really getting to know the students, the faculty, administrators: the
whole building. In January I began full-time , 5-days a week 'till graduation
in May.

I would have loved to have done the same thing at another level for the year.
Currently placing students in different settings for junior participation and
then final placements in elementary and secondary for a few brief months does
not seem to benefit the student teacher. Extending the time they spend in the
building might be a benefit. This of course is MHO.

Dennis