RE: ART "TRAINING"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Deborah Gilbert (dngart)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 07:40:10 -0700 (MST)

Robert wrote:

>Art training is no different from that of music, dance, drama, math, and
>sports, training!
>You are trained to perform basic requirements of a discipline. In visual
>arts, one learns to draw, paint, and to construct, in a sequence order
>guided by a set of "principles and elements" of design; in much the
>same way that a child learns to play the piano, sing, dance, act,

Is your feeling that this isn't happening, even at the Middle and High
School level in this country? Being an elementary teacher, I can say that
in my curriculum, I am more DBAE, hitting production along with the other
three strands, and there are come units (like the one I am doing right now)
where I introduce students to the great masters of the art world and we
don't necessarily have a production unit that ties in. If there is one, it
is purely imitational, to get the students to really analyze the different
ways that the elements of art can be put together to create works of art.

Deborah