Re: Children's arttalk!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:25:17 -0600

craig roland wrote:

> Bunki,
>
> Thanks for sharing those wonderful quotes about art from your kids. I will
> be sharing them with with students here at UF. We do a book-making
> activity in the art methods class which is similar in theme. Students are
> asked to brainstrom ways to complete the statement "Art is. . ." (up to 10
> times...although many generate more ideas). Depending on the format
> (origami, accordian, etc.,) of the book and the number of pages (usually
> 8-10) they are then asked to create an illustrated book of their "favorite"
> statements (using any materials available, construction paper, markers,
> magazines, glitter....). We get some wonderful "artist books" about art as
> a result.
>
> We have also alternated the "Art is..." theme with "I am an artist when I. . ."
> The idea behind this assignment is not only to get students to consider
> what "art is" or what it means to "think like an artist" to them
> personally, but also to suggest an idea for a book-making activity these
> preparing teachers can do with kids.
>
> Craig
>
> _______________________________________________________________________> CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
> Department of Art, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
> 32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
> http://grove.ufl.edu:8080/~rolandc/homepage.html

Hi Craig! Just curious--what text(s) do you use for art methods? And
what specifically do you find to be valuable about them? At Wichita
State University in elementary art methods we are using "Artworks for
Elementary Teachers" by Donald and Barbara Herberholtz and "Envisioning
Writing" by Janet Olson. Before this adoption we were using "Emphasis
Art" by Frank Wachowiak. I liked the student examples in Wachowiak, the
coverage of elements and principles of design in Herberholtz and the
connection between visual and verbal learners in Olson.