Re: Art as a sign of LD

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:46:10 GMT

Ken you wrote:

>Your comments have made me curious. How many on this list speak English as
>a second language, and if so, what is their native language. Your comments
>made me realize that I may need to explain common English expressions or
>other lingo unique to these countries.
I just thought I would tell you that I for one on this listerserv has
English for a second language. Icelandic is my mother tongue. And since
only about 260.000 people speak Icelandic it is necessary for us to learn
other languages in school, we usually start with Danish at about 11 and
then English at 12 and later on we can take German or French for example. I
think it is easy to understand why people with English for a mother tongue
do not speak other languages well as a rule for so many other people can
get by in English but sometimes one does feel that there is a lack of
understanding that not everyone is fluent in English and it„s
idiosyncrisis(big word and probably spelled wrong). Anyway I hope if there
are others on this list who have another language than English for a mother
tongue they„ll tell us. Regards from the far north, Rosa