Re: About Marcia's response

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lharri03
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 05:51:13 -0800

Amen as well! My son is 14. He has a learning disability but he also is an
aspiring artist. He took an adult art class last summer at the Indps. Art
Center and he LOVED it. His self esteem and self confidence rose so much that
when he started back to school this past Fall, his teacher said "His attitude is
much better this year." His learning disability is called visual motor
disability. Basically what that means is he has trouble getting assignments or
notes off the board to his own paper without missing alot. It is the "paper"
work at school that keeps his grades so low. But he is gifted in his art and
reading, comprehension. He's extremely gifted in understanding philosophy and
abstract concepts which often comes out in his artwork. When I talked to his
elementary art teacher about encouraging his art - such as the art club; she
insisted that her art club students have a grade point average of a B. Well
needless to say my son never got in. Actually it is my experience with my son
and watching how he thinks - through art - that inspired me to continue in my
graduate work in Aesthetics and Aesthetics for Children.
LH