Re: Art as a sign of LD (again)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:37:07 -0600

Ben Schasfoort wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Two weeks ago I wrote:
> Does there exist information (books, articles, theses) about the possibility
> to read in children's drawings if they have -or in the future will have-
> learning problems? I mean, are there signals given in drawings made by
> children 4-10 years old, which are useful signs for teachers?
>
> I got some information from here and there and learned:
> 1: There was misunderstanding about my question. It was not about art
> therapy, but about possibilities to use children's artwork as a first sign
> for learning disabilities. (besides I learned what LD means -never had it in
> my Dutch study)
> 2: Most teachers are rather reserved about using art as a sign of something
> psychological. Therapists think that is wise.
> 3: If used as a diagnostic tool, use it always together with others.
> 4: One can use the normal development of children's drawings as a guideline.
> 5: There is clinical art therapy and non-clinical art therapy. The second
> one is mostly done in schools, with a team of therapists and teachers.
> 6: The are no recent studies in English dealing with art as a sign of LD.
> 7: Two books about art therapy are mentioned: Di Leo and Harris
> 8: The cases told by different people are really interesting. We should do
> that more, tell about real school-life (same as with the theft series)
> 9: The discussion about art as a sign of LD stopped quite quickly.
> 10: This talkgroup thinks in English. Someone could have told me that there
> are German, French or Spanish answers, but none did.
>
> So, although this is not what I hoped to find, it is nevertheless an answer
> altogether. There is no possibility to use children's visual artwork as a
> sign of LD. Is that it?
> Someone could start with a collection of drawings from children that have
> learning problems. What are they showing? Maybe than we can use that study
> later for my queeste.
> Ben Schasfoort
> Polderweg 22
> 9682 XS OOSTWOLD (NL)
> tel/fax: 31 (0)597 55 15 03
> e-mail: ben.schasfoort

Dear Ben,

There is a book called "Envisioning Writing" by Janet L. Olson,
published in 1992 by Heinemann Educational Books, Inc., 361 Hanover
Street, Portsmouth, NH 03801. The ISBN # is 0-435-08700-2. This book
carefully addresses the relationship between verbal and visual learners
to learning disabilities. According to Mrs. Olson, children with
learning disabilities may in some cases just be predominently visual
learners who have trouble dealing with the verbal culture of school. In
my experience teaching elementary art, I was always amazed to find
students who I thought were gifted in art, sometimes had dificulties
with other areas of the school curriculum and were in the LD program.
Howard Gardener has also writtten alot about "multiple intelligences".
This does not exactly answer your question about using drawings as a
diagnostic tool, but I think is related. I found Mrs. Olson's book to
clear up some mysteries for me.

Sincerely,
Marcia Scurfield
Derby, KS 67037