coil construction

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Charles Gareri (cgareri)
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:57:38 -0500

CHRISTY SCHMITZ wrote:

> Does anyone have any neat suggestions that they would be willing to
> share using coil and slab methods (high school)? I'm tired of getting the
> ashtray look-a-likes!
> I would greatly appreciate your help.

We do several things to eliminate the "ashtray Look-a-likes":

1. There is a rule NO ashtrays.

2. We start off all ceramic projects with a drawing proposal of what
they plan to make. This helps work out technical problems as well as
design problems.

3. When they do coil pots I make some rules that you cannot have more
than 3 coils going horizontal in a row. This encourages vertical,
curved, and diagonal coil construction.

4. We treat coil design more like a line drawing. Some incorporate
faces in the side of their coil pots. Others may include words.

We seldom have boring coil pots!

Our Web site will include some soon.
Home Page http://www.netride.com/users/cgareri (our Art Dept. Page
links from my home page)

--
             (. .)

Charlie Gareri E-mail cgareri Home Page http://www.netride.com/users/cgareri Pike High School/Art Dept./Indianapolis Indiana USA .oooO -------------( )-----Oooo.------------------------- \ ( ( ) \_) ) / (_/