Re: Student's Identification on Web Pages (& new student webpage)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sue Palfrey (stp7msb)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 19:58:29 -0500

Bob's points are well made. Even at the middle school level, I felt that
using student initials is a bit of a compromise. Certainly the school
posts the honor roll in the local paper etc. I do believe that permission
has to be given for photographs of students used in the newspaper -- that's
really a slightly different issue. I tend to be optimistic, and would
predict as soon as comfort level with the WEB increases with use, the use
of student names is less likely to be an issue.

A parallel illustration: a year ago I was sitting on a committee
discussing teacher use of the Internet. We had one computer hooked up in
the library which was locked on weekends. Much to my disgust, there was a
big discussion about how teachers might (mis)use Internet access on
weekends. A year later, most of the teachers have Internet access in their
classrooms, and the weekend teacher use issue has been forgotten