Re: Student's Identification on Web Pages (& new student web

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 17:28:38 -0600

At 09:02 AM 1/26/97 -0500, Sue Palfrey wrote:

>I decided on using student initials with grade level. Before I put the
>work up, I announced that I would be doing this in the Principal's notes
>home, and asked if anyone had questions or concerns to call me. No one
>did. I'm sure it would be all right with some parents to use names, but I
>felt in the name of equality, I didn't want to make some students feel
>uncomfortable because their names were not permitted to be on the WEB.

This issue is an ongoing problem for those of us who want to help the kids
get full credit for what they have accomplished as individuals. I think if
the children are in elementary or middle school the use of a first name or
their initials would be advisable, however, one wonders just how to handle
the situation when the kids are in high school. Many of them have seen
their community accomplishments and their full names published in
connection with activities of sports, theater, academics and other areas of
school, church, scouts, 4-H and related performances. What is it that we
fear that forces us to short chance the students' (by listing only initials
or first names) in what could be positive ego building experiences? Isn't
that what we are supposed to be doing....... helping them to develop into
productive, creative, positive and constructive citizens?

I fear it is, once again, a case of the educational system running in fear
from a small percentage of parents and their lawyers who would seek ways to
take financial advantage of their local educational system and, in the
process, they place additional negative pressure upon the use of this new
learning and motivational tool for educators called the Web.

What are the varied school policies which are forced upon our list member
concerning the publication of student names with their accomplishment in
high school? Are there any cases where high school students have been
harmed by the publication of their names along with the record of their
accomplishments?

What laws govern the publication of high school student names?

Am I in the minority with my opinion?

How do others feel about this issue.

Bob Fromme