Re: Stan Herd, Landscape Artist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:33:44 -0600

Mark Alexander wrote:

> Stan Herd (NOT Hurd) is quite impressive. There is an article about him in
> the July 1994 issue of Smithsonian Magazine, and examples of his work are
> easy to access at: http://t-e-i.com/herd.html
> His work is defiantly mixed media. Like Andy Goldsworthy, he uses
> photography to document and present his work, but in the tradition of
> aerial photography he offers his viewers a birds-eye-view of the work. His
> process requires a lot of artistic vision, planning and knowledge of
> agriculture to plant huge fields in variety of different plants to fill his
> picture plane with colors.
> Wouldn't you know it! Spelling correctly does matter! Enjoy!
> Mark Alexander
> 1-8 art on the cart
> Lee H. Kellogg School
> Falls Village, CT 06031

While much of his work is impermanent, Stan Herd created an
installation on the campus of Haskell Indian Nations University called
"The Circle" including a stylized image of a bird or "flight" which is
fairly permanent and used for celebrations and meditation. Stan spoke
at an opening for an exhibition of his work several months ago at the
Wichita Center for the Arts. In 1994, Harry Abrams published a large
volume of his work entitled "Crop Art and Other Earthworks by Stan
Herd". The ISBN # is 0-8109-2575-3. When I entered "Stan Herd" into
the search engine, HOTBOTS yesterday I was rewarded with 66 "hits".
Marcia Scurfield
1100 Partridge Circle
Derby, KS 67037