Re: need slides

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:18:19 -0600

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> Dear Carla--I borrowed a good camera from my mother. I don't think a
> point and shoot will be very good because the focal length is probably
> a default at about 3 feet min. You need to be able to focus at least
> 1-1/2 feet from the book since your photographs are probably less than
> 8x11". There are special lenses that would allow you to get closer
> but I don't own any. You need to find a likely subject to borrow from.
> Do you have a photo class in your school--or how about a newspaper or
> yearbook. Ask around the faculty room. You're bound to find one. You
> could get all your books together and do it all in a day--or maybe get
> the camera owner to assist. Sid
>
> ###########################
> # Sidnie Miller #
> # Elko Junior High School #
> # 777 Country Club Drive #
> # Elko, NV 89801 #
> # 702-738-7236 #
> ###########################
>
> On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, carla harwitt wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of a least expensive, effective camera to buy to make slides?
> > I personally own a "point-n-shoot" 35mm but I understand you have to have
> > the kind you can focus. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks. - Carla H.
> >

> > On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Sidnie Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Su, have you ever considered making your own slides? Just get
> > > your camera with slide film and take your favorite art books outside
> > > on a nice sunny day. Get a steel bar or something heavy to hold
> > > everything nice and flat. If you can't get in close enough you
> > > can use black electrical tape to mask in your slide to the good parts.
> > > My homemade ones aren't the best, but I usually make up for sloppy
> > > technique by my enthusiasm talking about works I really like. A long
> > > time ago the librarian and I wrote a grant to get a set of 500 slides--
> > > the ones in the catalogs. They're great and everything but I probably
> > > only use 60 of them--and try to find slides of great installations or
> > > Andy Goldsworthy work. It still costs you, but maybe your principal
> > > will be willing to pay for film and development--it makes them sound
> > > soooo cheap to refuse when you're doing all the work!! Sid
> > >
> > > ###########################
> > > # Sidnie Miller #
> > > # Elko Junior High School #
> > > # 777 Country Club Drive #
> > > # Elko, NV 89801 #
> > > # 702-738-7236 #
> > > ###########################
> > >

> >Hello Sidnie--
Another excellent source for slides and other visual resources
is the extension service of the National Gallery of Art. I quote from
the booklet accompanying the teacher's packet, "The Inquiring Eye:
European Renaissance Art"--
Extension Programs (films, videocassettes, teaching packets,
color slide program and video discs) are available from the National
Gallery of Art on a free loan basis. A free catalogue, listing all
current programs and describing procedures for ordering materials may be
obtained by writing to the Department of Education Resources, Extension
Programs Section, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.20565

The loan from Washington is free; you only have to pay
for return postage. They seem to be generous with their loan period.
Depending on where you live, there are also regional "satellites"
of the National Gallery's program which loan to local communities. The
Wichita Art Museum and The St. Louis Art Museum are two of which I am
aware. There must be many more. I'm sure the National Gallery could
inform you as to which satellite is closest to you.

I've found their programs to be excellent, especially the three
"Inquiring Eye" (Renaissance, Impressionism and American Art) teacher
packets.

Art Museums often have teacher workshops which provide teacher packets
(often with slides) for those who attend. I think it is the Los Angeles
County Museum of Art which has "Evenings for Educators". The Wichita
Art Museum has teacher workshops several times a year. The next one is
Saturday, February 8, 10:30 a.m. to noon, for the "Shaker: The Art of
Craftsmanship" exhibition. The first 60 persons who register and attend
will receive a free teacher's packet.

Finally, many museums offer teacher packets of their collections for
sale for almost less cost than making your own. I have several from the
Cleveland Museum of Art and the St. Louis Museum of Art which were very
reasonable. The address for the Cleveland Museum of Art is
Department of Education
Cleveland Museum of Art
1150 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
216/421-7340, x462

Many art museum gift shops sell individual slides for practically at
cost.

Sincerely,
Marcia Scurfield
1100 Partridge Circle