Re: Middle School Art Programs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:37:23 -0500 (EST)

Dear Ryan,
It's really easy to get discouraged by kids' attitudes toward art.
This resistance happens to seasoned teachers, too. Wait till you replace
a teacher they adored--especially if they were permitted to do minimal
work. Rubrics do help. Also, I find it helpful to let them know exactly
what will be required of them by the end of the marking period. Some
teachers go as far as saying, this is what you need for an "A", this for a
"B", etc. Just don't give up. Of course creating art is fun, but the
kids have to know we are serious about art and our teaching. Best
wishes,
Judy