Re: Mail Art Project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 05:47:05 -0600

At 06:44 PM 1/23/97 San D. wrote:

>From another who participated in the 70's mail art---will the
>significance go unnoticed about how many people actually "touch and are
>touched" by the pieces of art that shoots through the mail system, and
>that can actually put a responsibility on the young artist to try to
>make something that will make a statement to where the person who comes
>in contact with the mail art says "hmmmmmmm:.

Yes, San D,

The project has the potential for all kinds of new student thinkin about art
and society...... if the teachers who are involved are prepared to
understand and share in the lesson a look at the cultural forces which gave
rise to Dada and those directions , like Mailart, which later evolved. Of
course, any discussion of the historical movement as a reaction to
traditional attitudes will require an understanding of those earlier
(museum, gallery, business, dependent) traditions which were being
challenged when Mailart came along.

I hope some of the middle school teachers come back to share their
experiences and observations with the list when it is over. However, one
still wonders if the hormone driven minds of the (hall monsters) middle
schoolers will take much away from this learning experience. Most of the
success will depend upon the classroom teacher and the quality of their
presentation of the project.

Bob