Re: conformity

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:21:13 -0500

Elizabeth P. wrote:

>Frankly, it's more than a little insulting to have it implied that the
>general classroom -- or any non-art -- teacher is someone who pushes
>conformity and is likely to be uncomfortable with creative processes or
>differences.

Sorry, Elizabeth - don't take it personally. Perhaps the many educators you
know don't fit the image I generalized. But a disturbing number do in my
school system. Yes, there are free thinkers and non-conformists in every
subject area of education. There are creative ways of teaching math and
science, etc. But I still must maintain my belief that teachers in the
Arts, at all grade levels, are a set of unique individuals that contribute
a great deal to the general education of children. I'm sorry California has
eliminated certified teachers in the Primary grades. New York City schools
have too - New York - the heart of the art world! Every year the New York
State Art Teachers Association passes resolutions to urge making it a
requirement to have certified teachers at all grade levels - but so far
things haven't changed. You're right. Change is very difficult. I just
can't give up.

Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)
http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617