Re: Flying Lessons!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:56:01 -0800 (PST)

Trisha, When I was in maybe 4th grade, I read a book called "Summer Birds"
that I have never forgotten. In it a child (who later turns out to be a
bird just spending the summer as a child) teaches a group of other
children to fly during the summer. I'd always been moved by dreams that I
could just take off from the group, kind of like Superman (no flapping
arms or anything) and this book was so much like those dreams. At the end
of the book, only one child who chooses to become a bird permanently keeps
the gift of flying; the others never fly again but always remember, the
way one feels waking up in the morning from one of those flying dreams.
For a more recent book, my 9 year old daughter loves the "Catwings"
books by Ursula LeGuin.
Hope this helps. Carla Harwitt