Re: Something to Consider

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 12:01:20 -0800 (PST)

I am both a teacher (high school) and a parent (elementary, middle, and
college). When I grade papers, I want to be able to correct not only
spelling errors but grammar mistakes as well. But there are so many (even
in the Highly Gifted group, which I teach), and the volume of papers to
grade is so high because of the numbers of students in each class, that it
would take me many additional *hours* to do so. So I content myself with
just circling the misspelled words, and frankly I sometimes don't even
correct the grammar. I certainly do *not* think that spelling doesn't
matter because of technology or whatever reason, but I am overwhelmed. My
rationale is to hope that in English class the students are being taught
spelling and grammar in more detail than in the art history and history
classes I teach. As (if!) classes get smaller, one of the many, many
benefits will be to free up teacher time (and I'm talking about time at
home, not paid time at school) to concentrate more on this level of
correction.
--Carla Harwitt
P.S. As for spelling mistakes in the e-mail, I personally think it
reflects more on someone's typing ability than on his/her spelling
ability. I know I make plenty of typos - sometimes I catch them and
sometimes I don't. I certainly don't proofread my e-mail correspondence
the way I do when I am writing a paper or an article, nor do I think I
should have to. - CH