Re: California Missions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:50:04 -0800

Elizabeth Paul wrote:

> Hi, all--
> I will be starting to student-teach in a 4th grade class in Feb (general
> ed). I will be starting with language arts and then adding on social
> studies, and would like some ideas that incorporate art education. The
> topic in social studies at the time I will start teaching is California
> missions. Does any one have recommendations of particularly good resources
> and/or activities? I'm looking for things that incorporate not only studio
> activities but the whole gambit -- aesthetics, criticism, and history.
>
> By way of background, these kids will be starting out pretty much at ground
> zero for art education. Near as I can tell, they've only had a smattering
> of art and it's been the "art as filler" or "pumpkins in October" stuff. The
> school doesn't have an art program/curricula yet although it does have a new
> principal who is very supportive and interested in getting substantive art
> education in the classrooms. The school is very urban LA; has a nice
> computer lab and a computer in every classroom. Overall, the community has
> lots of new immigrants as well as some families who've lived there for
> several generations. It's predominantly is low-income; largely Latino
> although also some Pacific Islander, African-American, and white.
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcomed! Thanks --
>
> Elizabeth Paul
> UCLA Teacher Education Program
Hi Elizabeth:
Here's my question to you, are you going to be certified in art
education? The reason I am asking is; when we start to "incorporate"
art education into other areas, we justify to boards of education that
they do not "need" to hire an art educator. While I am all for team
teaching, sharing with collegues, etc., I am the expert in my field, and
am treated as such. If you are training to be an art teacher, it is my
opinion, that you must keep reinforcing the need for an art educator at
that school. I know that you are in a position of student teaching only,
and don't have power. But you can educate those around you too, while
you are learning.

By way of example, I started an art club at my school, many years
ago. And when the kids started coming (and I encouraged everyone to
come, regardless of talent or participation in the art program), the
students wanted to do "art" afterschool (like ceramics, painting etc).
As I explained to them at the time, if you want to do ceramics, then
sign up for the course, otherwise I will have no program and you will be
getting me to teach an additional class afterschool. Art club was and
is for group projects for the school and community. It would have been
very easy for me to have taught ceramics to one kid, and painting to
another afterschool, but essentially they would not be in an art class,
sharing with other art students, AND the bottom line would be eventually
I would have a reduced amount of classes.

Those of us in the "electives" know that a)kids can "get by",
according to Boards of Education and other politicians with a "basic"
art education......like "pumpkins" and b)if WE don't stand up for our
subject matter, who will?

San D