Re: Something to Consider

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lharri03
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:58:32 -0800

Don't give Don too hard a time. I, too, am often amazed at the poor spelling
and English that I see on my different lists. I notice really bad spelling
errors. I don't mind little mistakes but it does bother me. My children who
are in elementary school and junior high do not have any of their spelling
errors corrected on their papers. The attitude from teachers today is "Well,
with today's technology, they can get by without perfect spelling." Needless to
say, my son is a horrible speller and its frustrating. I'm only in my thirties
but when it comes to spelling - I am old fashioned. Spelling does matter. I
don't mean to sound overly critical because I love this list and I'm amazed that
we can communicate throughout the world. I just felt that people were giving
Don a hard time when he certainly has a valid point. Others notice too.
Laura :)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Linda Kelsey-Jones <lkj> wrote:
>Don --
>
>With a little praktis you cud rite lik 1 of my favrit writers, Artemus
>Ward, partikularly as he onect rote fer the Cleveland Plaindealer. "My
>perlitical sentiments agree with yourn exackly. I know they do, becauz I
>never saw a man whoos didn't. Respectfully yours, A. Ward. P.S. -You
>scratch my back and Ile scratch your back."
>
>Are you or anyone out there familiar with this 19th C. humorist
>writer/lecturer?
>
>lkj
>
>p.s. Christine, keep writing. "Don't sweat the small stuff, etc."
>
>>From: donkay (Don @ Kay Alexander)
>>Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 12:02:39 -0700
>>Subject: Something to Consider
>>
>>This is intended only to those of you "educated" people who SHOULD know
>>better but don't seem to care about the poor image you leave with the
>>public and your colleagues whom you are trying so hard to serve and impress
>>with your talents. Whin you right a letter too a groo p of people most most
>>of who have been borned and edjicated in the usa and whom look to me and
>>you for asistance in an swering problems, allot of the time you should
>>prove read you're stuff befor e you male it! I am nut directing this too
>>new arrivles in this countrey or those writting frum forin places, as they
>>are doin great four evin trieng english.
>> You old timers in this artsednet group have heard other such appeals
>>online before, but you seem reluctant to address it even in the most subtle
>>ways. I believe that some of you should take it upon yourselves to send a
>>gentle, private message to those who obviously don't care or are just too
>>lazy to clean up their own act. Most computers do have dictionaries. Yes,
>>there are such things as typos, but writing "allot" three times in one
>>letter is not a typo!
>> Before I am burned at the stake or crucified for being critical and for
>>trying to salvage what's left of my profession, I humbly tender my
>>resignation.
>> Don
>> PS---Pleeze exskooze all my misteaks--thankyou
>>
>>From: Christine Beth Johnson <chrbjohn>
>>Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 16:34:34 -0500 (EST)
>>Subject: Re: Something to Consider
>>
>>I certainly appreciate your comments that could easily be directed to me.
>>Sometimes answering over 20 or so e-mails in the 1/2 hour I am allowed on
>>line I get fast and sloppy. I sure do wish my e-mail allowed spell
>>check. Anyway. The point is well taken. Thank you.And I find myself
>>frightened into Silence.
>>
>> Christy whose long nails slip of the keys Johnson

  • Reply: carla harwitt: "Re: Something to Consider"