Re: Docents

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 19:31:03 -0800 (PST)

I helped put together an art docent program for the Bainbridge Island
Public School District and developed the training program for K-8
volunteers. Three biggest challenges were lack of exposure to art;
inconsistent or unreliable volunteers; volunteers only interested in the
program as long as their children were in elementary school. Rewards:
innovative ways of looking at work and talking about art from untrained
perspectives; networking with other "mothers" to support the program;
advocacy on behalf of art programming when cuts were threated, proposed or
enacted.

Teresa Tipton